Understanding why your Sterling Silver tarnishes
Sterling silver is an alloyed metal, normally made of 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% copper. 99.9% pure silver is quite malleable, therefore silver is usually combined with other metals to increase its hardness and strength.
At Olivia Jewelry, we plate all our jewelry with platinum for extra shine and durability. Platinum is extremely resistant to oxidation, so it keeps our jewelry from tarnish.
Taking care of your jewelry
If you’re looking at a piece of jewelry that is darkened or appears dirty, then your silver has tarnished; but, there’s no need to neglect this piece or get rid of it!
Tarnish is simply the result of a chemical reaction with oxygen or sulfur particles in the air. With a few easy-to-follow tips, you can take care of your sterling silver jewelry and make it last for years to come!
Tips to prevent tarnish
- Apply cosmetics, hair products, lotions, perfumes and powders prior to wearing your jewelry.
- Prevent your items from being exposed to moisture.
- Remove your pieces before showering, swimming, sunbathing and exercising.
- Keep all wearable pieces of art out of direct sunlight.
- Metals may tarnish over time due to oxygen and natural body oils.
- To reduce tarnishing, store jewelry in a sealed bag or box in a dry, dark and cool place.